Chilli Con Carne From Scratch (Free on Extra Easy, 3 Syns on Original, 2 Syns on Green)
The cooking time for this Chilli Con Carne recipe is around 60 minutes as the chilli does take quite a while to reduce but it is worth the wait trust me I have made this recipe several times and doubled up on the ingredients and frozen it in portions which is a fab idea if you are stuck for time and need something quick in the evening or to microwave at work.
Ensure you use Extra Lean Mince Beef to ensure Syn values are correct. This is chilli with a kick I love this recipe and you can adjust ingredients if you like it hot and you can serve it with salad and pasta or rice which ever you are allowed depending on what plan you are folloiwng. I follow original and usually use one of my HEB for pasta.
Free on Extra Easy
3 Syns on Original
2 Syns on Green (if using meat as HEB)
- Fry Light
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 fresh chillies, de-seeded and sliced
- 2 tsps cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 x 397g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
- 284ml/½ pint stock
- salt and ground black pepper
- 454g/1lb extra lean beef mince (or Quorn mince)
- 1 x 198g/7oz can red kidney beans, drained
- chopped fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- 1 tbsp of tomato puree
- Spray a saucepan with Fry Light
- Fry the onion gently over a low heat for 5 minutes, until softened and golden. Add the garlic, chillies and all the spices and continue frying
- Stir occasionally, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add mince, stirring until it begins to brown.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato puree and stock.
- Stir well and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 40-60 minutes, till liquid reduced.
- Add drained kidney beans.
- Heat through gently for about 5 minutes.
- Split into 4 portions and serve